Re: RARA-AVIS: Wherefore Art thou, Chester?

Greg Swan (swan@mcmuse.mc.maricopa.edu)
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 13:11:03 -0700 Bill Hagen wrote:

> No comments on his style, so with all the authority of exactly 60 pages
> read, let me rush to judgement...to say that he's got this reader. The
> smoothest job of slipping into a main plot that I've seen in some time

For my money, it's one of the best action novels I've ever read. Comedy,
when written in action terms, becomes slapstick -- and this one's full of
it. I think Paul Cain gets credit for writing the ultimate hard-boiled
action novel, Fast One. For my money, compared to Rage in Harlem, Fast One
takes a slow boat to China. Plus, for some odd reason, the characters and
setting seemed to come to just enough life to make it all believable.
Reading this one felt like watching one of Hollywood's best action
blockbusters.

Yeah, I know, I wrote more of a sound bite than a review. But it just felt
right to do it this way.

Greg
swan@poboxes.com

#