Re: RARA-AVIS: On The Left Coast

Curt Sampson (cjs@portal.ca)
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 11:15:41 -0800 (PST) On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Mari Hall wrote:

> I thought the most interesting thing about the Chandler panel was the
> statement by Bob Wade--'you can't outline Chandler'. He told the story
> about the screen-play (Faulkner was one) writers who were adapting
> something (Farewell My Lovely???) and they got to the end and looked at
> each other and said "well, who shot the chauffeaur....

This was _The Big Sleep_ (with Bogart and Bacall). The anecdote
that I'd heard was that while they were filming they realised they
didn't know who'd shot the chauffeur, and so they checked with the
book. They couldn't figure it out from the book, either, so they
cabled Chandler, who replied with a cable saying something like
`How the heck should I know?'

cjs

Curt Sampson cjs@portal.ca Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc. Through infinite mist, software reverberates
Vancouver, BC (604) 257-9400 In code possess'd of invisible folly.

#