Re: RARA-AVIS: On The Left Coast

Mari Hall (found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net)
Tue, 03 Mar 1998 12:08:41 -0600 William Denton wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Rick Robinson wrote:
>
> : Connelly talked for some time about the influence Chandler had on

> That's interesting. I don't see much of that in Connelly's books, he
> seems to draw mostly on his experience as a reporter.

Yeah, but he said -basically- that he wrote "Marlowe with baggage"; I
suppose Bosch's search for his mother's killer or mother or whatever
(that @#$% backstory). I don't think it was "thinking" so much as the
"baggage".

> He really seems to have exploded right up there lately.

Yeah, if they had taken bids on the t-shirt and "manuscript" I'm sure
that alone would have raised -bazillions- forthwith rather than give it
as a door prize (although they seemed to have several--so it wasn't that
it was "rare")

_The Poet_ and The Black Echo_ (the first Bosch) were the best,
similarities between them that might make you wonder if he's stealing
from himself.

I thought so too and BLOOD WORK makes me think that also. It's the
"loner" thing. The twist in the beginning was a touch I wish I had not
known (sometimes the beginning is as important a spoiler of the plot
set-up as the ending). But his hero has a heart-transplant and that is
cruicial to the story.

--
whose DOROTHYL nom is Kate Warne the ex-Pinkerton in
The Woman With the Rose Tattoo by Mari Hall