Re: RARA-AVIS: Highsmith

Mari Hall (found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net)
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 14:23:39 -0600 Levin, Doug wrote:

> Perhaps, though, Highsmith can't keep it going--that seems to be
> Bill's reaction, and that's what I thought happened in Ripley
> Underground. Regardless, if other readers are deciding to make the
> leap, I say go ahead.

I always read Ripley if I want a "slice of life" in the '50's. I think
that had something to do with it. But since the books themselves were
written over a period of 20+ years, it is hard to realize that Ripley
didn't age 20+ years in the books, the last also was set in the '50's.

I just know that I keep Highsmith as my "Agatha Christie"--a measure for
"trillers" and "suspense". When I read the current crop of "romantic
suspense" I can see why "romantic" comes first. These folks have no idea
what "suspense" means,they simply want to cash-in on some supposed
market broader than the "romance" one.

If you really want to see what folks think of romance authors go to the
that web-site about the Wall (it commences I, (name) throw (name of
author or book) against the wall because ( and the reasons are
numerous). But mostly it is romance disappoints and yet people keep
buying it. Go figure>>

--
>From Mari Hall Found.Dead.In.Texas@airmail.net
whose DOROTHYL nom is Kate Warne the ex-Pinkerton in
The Woman With the Rose Tattoo by Mari Hall
See y'all at Left Coast Crime 8