Re: RARA-AVIS: Highsmith

Mari Hall (found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 10:17:43 -0600 Levin, Doug wrote:

> RE: Highsmith
>
> For those who know all the Ripley novels, I would be curious to hear
> rankings. I read Ripley Underground, which I enjoyed, but also felt
> that it petered out a bit.

I think all the Ripley's need to be read in order; I did that again for
this reading and found them not so good as I recall, but bear in mind
that these were written over a 24 year period (I think this one was 1956
--times were different then all over the world and especially in
England, Spain and France then. But there are some authors (and we all
know which they are) that are "Agatha Christie" to us, we will re-read
and re-read. Does someone have access to a "publishing line" here and
see how many times the Ripley's (and Highsmith in general) have been
republished??? Dr. Stevenson where are you when I need you???

--
whose DOROTHYL nom is Kate Warne the ex-Pinkerton in
The Woman With the Rose Tattoo by Mari Hall