Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Highsmith/Ripley

Christian Doellner (cdoell@prairienet.org)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 00:39:18 -0600 (CST) On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Mario Taboada wrote:

> Highsmith is my favorite female crime writer, and one of my all-around
> favorite writers. She had a very special kind of literary genius, dark,
> which is very concise but full of wisdom and thoroughly practical.
>
> There's no-one even remotely like her in the current literary scene.

I also have a great admiration for Highsmith's work. About 3-4 years
ago there was a lit piece in the VILLAGE VOICE praising Highsmith (
around the time RIPLEY UNDER WATER was released, I believe)..

I just finished Alex Garland's THE BEACH and thought it had a heavy
Highsmith influence -the detached, banal evil and sense of impending
doom. Christian Doellner
#