Re: RARA-AVIS: The Killer Inside Me/Book Discussions

James Rogers (jetan@ionet.net)
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 10:48:12 -0600 (CST) At 11:15 AM 2/6/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Being new to the list, I was excited about the idea of seeing
>some really astute discussions of some wonderful books.
>However, for the latest reading, THE KILLER INSIDE ME,
>I've only seen a few posts and nothing resembling a dis-
>cussion. Is this typical? Or have other books you've read
>generated a lot more give-and-take?
>
>I've hesitated to post my opinion because I feel a bit intimidated
>by the expertise in the group. My reaction to any book is
>pretty much surface since I don't have the background to make
>critical judgments based on past readings. I didn't want to
>embarrass myself by saying anything that would appear
>ridiculous to the group intelligentsia.
>
>Be that as it may, discussion or no, I am glad that I took the
>time to read THE KILLER INSIDE ME. I thought it verged on
>being a masterpiece. I particularly liked Thompson's use of
>the first person voice. It took me inside of the protagonist's
>head while building an odd sense of sympathy at the same
>time.

We probably just need someone to egg us on. KILLER is a great book,
although I personally prefer POP.180, which is not very different. There are
a couple of little habits of Thompson's that annoy me through all the
books....like having a character stutter to express weakness or surprise.
The first person narrative is very effective in Thompson's best books in
that it makes the reader feel somewhat complicit in the crimes of the
protagonist. as I said in another thread, James Cain probably pioneered this
device I recently gave away my copy of KILLER to someone who couldn't handle
it for this very reason.... they were just overcome with nausea. I had a bit
of the same reaction a short while back when reading Ellroy's KILLER ON THE
ROAD (SILENT TERROR).

James
James Michael Rogers
jetan@ionet.net
" I carried it too far, that's for sure" - Jeffrey Dahmer

#