Re: RARA-AVIS: New Guy in Town

James Rogers (jetan@ionet.net)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 20:42:22 -0600 (CST) At 01:39 PM 2/4/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Good afternoon, all.
>
>I just learned of your existence and am pleased to be joining you.
>
>My name is Doug Bentin and my main interest in hard-boiled writing is
>with the first generation of writers, and not just the crime
>writers--no one, for instance, is much tougher than early John
>O'Hara--but my introduction to the world of hard-boiled was the Black
>Mask boys.

You are the only other person I have seen on the list to
mention O'Hara.I guess his hardboiled stuff has been overshadowed by the
later "society" books, like _From The Terrace_. Oddly, I haven't seen much
discussion of Horace McCoy either or, amazingly, James Cain. It may be that
these guys were discussed to death before I ever got on the list. Since we
*have* been talking a little bit about Thompson, it might be the place to
comment that it would seem to me that Thompson's stuff feels quite
influenced by Cain and McCoy. Not that Cain would have bought that....both
he and O'Hara hated being pigeon-holed into the "hardboiled" catagory and
Cain in particular thought the "genre" was a gimmick perpetrated by
academics and critics. Anyway, welcome to the list.

James