Re: RARA-AVIS: Ice Storm Refugee Checks In!

Curt Sampson (cjs@portal.ca)
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 17:48:29 -0800 (PST) On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Kevin Smith wrote:

> Given all that, though, The Drowning Pool was pre-Galton Case, and was
> really (IMHO) Macdonald trying to find his own voice, while still trying to
> out-Chandler Chandler.

I just finished this, since it took me a while to track down a copy
after seeing the title on the reading list. I didn't find him trying
to `out-Chandler Chandler,' though he does have a fair number
Chandleresque qualities, of course. I found it incredibly irritating
that cover and inside few pages were filled with blurbs announcing
how much better he was than Chandler; while I think his story,
plotting and theme in this book are about as good as anything
Chandler's done, MacDonald does not have the same eye for detail
or turn of phrase that Chandler does. For example, Chandler uses
colour extensively in his descriptions, and MacDonald hardly goes
near it.

cjs

Curt Sampson cjs@portal.ca Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc. Through infinite mist, software reverberates
Vancouver, BC (604) 257-9400 In code possess'd of invisible folly.

#