Re: RARA-AVIS: Johnson-brothers?

michael david sharp (msharp@umich.edu)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 09:48:36 -0500 (EST) Dennis --
I rather liked your interpretation, wrong or not.

Spent yesterday trying (w/ my students) to figure out the popularity of
Carroll John Daly. Editor of Black Mask Boys (William F. Nolan) trashes
him even as he asserts his place at the origin of the hardboiled
phenomenon. My kids absolutely (and hilariously) tore Daly apart. Of
course they'd just started reading Maltese Falcon, which can make even
competent writing look hack by comparison. M-

Michael D. Sharp Email: msharp@umich.edu
Department of English Lang. and Lit. Phone: (313) 761-8776
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor Fax: (313) 763-3128

#