RARA-AVIS: Pellecanos (was: new to the list)

E J M Duggan (ejmd@mcmail.com)
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 01:19:14 -0800 On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, pmcd@clark.net (P McDermott) wrote:

> As far as new stuff coming out, I really enjoy Pellecanos' Nick Stefanos
> books. They are as close to hardboiled as you can get these days. I'm from
> the DC area, and he has the setting nailed perfectly.

Hello P.,

Welcome aboard --- you have some pretty good reading credentials behind
you with an impressive list of authors. However, and I hope this
doesn't ruffle your (or too many others') feathers much, but Pellecanos
*hard-boiled*? I just don't get it. Oh, I know there's all the
impressive blurb on the back on the dust jackets, but it's pretty medium
fare, IMO.

How hard-boiled can a *sensitive* dude with a girlfriend be?

Also, there's all that annoying stuff about how much Stefanos tips, what
he ate, what he listens to on the radio --- it feels like Pellecanos is
very much aware of the reader looking over his shoulder, and he is
*desparate* to impress, to have Stefanos do/think/say the right thing,
listen to the right stuff, pass the label check. It's as if a very
hefty dose of Brett Easton Ellis has been stirred in (_Less Than Zero_,
not _American Psycho_).

Maybe Pellecanos will lighten up, mature a bit as a writer, and
concentrate more on writing than posing.

If you want recent hard-boiled, try to find some of the Nick Sharman
stories by Mark Timlin.

ED
[First late-night rant of 1998]

--