RE: RARA-AVIS: What Constitutes Hard-Boiled?

Andy Hughes (AHughes@sbtinfo.com)
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 10:05:46 -0500 Frank raised the question of John Sandford's PREY series. Although I
would agree with others who have suggested possible hard-boiled police
procedurals, I don't think Sandford's books qualify. (I do, however,
recommend them highly, particularly the first, RULES OF PREY, and the
other early ones.) Sandford's main character, Lucas Davenport, does not
lead the isolated, loner life that characterizes most HB protagonists.
In fact, he actively seeks community through a variety of groups.
Second, if the PREY books are procedurals, they belong to a sub-genre I
loosely refer to as psychological serial killer thrillers. Sandford and
Ridley Pearson, in my opinion, are probably the two best authors
currently working this beat.It's not HB, but it's definitely worthwhile.

#