RARA-AVIS: RE: HB Cop Procedural

E J M Duggan (ejmd@mcmail.com)
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 12:27:03 -0800 On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Rick Robinson <rkr@pacbell.net> wrote:

[SNIP---'cos I know you don't want or need to read the same thing over
and over again, *especially* as I get the digest ;->]

> Questions # 2
> Is Sherlock Holmes a P.I.? Why/why not?

SH is a consulting detective. I believe he set up shop in Baker Street
at around the same time (although a little after) Allan Pinkerton set up
his detective agency.

> Question # 3
> Is there / could there be such a thing as a hard-boiled police
> procedural?

Yes indeed---I think Joseph Wambaugh's _Choirboys_ is a good example of
what could be called 'hbpp'; I think James Ellroy's so-called LA trilogy
could also be put in this category.

ED