Re: RARA-AVIS: HB comics and Yule excursions

Etienne Borgers (etienne@singnet.com.sg)
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 18:56:45 +0800 (SGT) >Myshmysh wrote:

>> Which prompts a mention a hard-boiled mid-80s book called Grimjack which
>> stretched _my_ conception of violence in the genre. Somebody died, often
>> horribly, in every issue. Published by First Comics and created, I
>believe,
>> by Timothy Truman, it featured a PI named John Gaunt, nicknamed Grimjack

SNIPPED

>If my memory is accurate (never a safe assumption) Grimjack was co-created
>and scripted by John Ostrander. Truman did the art and in one issue drew
>in a bookstore owner friend of mine as a tough, alien gorilla. Grimjack
>was a good series, but Mike Grell's Jon Sable, Freelance was better--and
>Grell was a more hardboiled writer.
>
>James Reasoner
>(skirting dangerously close to off-topic with this comics stuff)

I should say you are in the very heart of the subject! HB Comics definitely
belong to the genre and the group here is not for discussing only HB
literature, if I'm not mistaken.
Anyway to comfort those fearing borderline subjects, just remember that a
lot of HB writers cooperated to comics for their scripts. Hammett being one
of the famous examples. Amongst others.

HB Comics? Right on target!

E.Borgers
Hard-Boiled Mysteries