Re: RARA-AVIS: Day Keene

Dixon H Chandler (dchandle@mailer.fsu.edu)
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 13:12:05 -0500 (EST) James wrote:

> Michael, I know I have at least one Keene short story in one of those
> digest-sized pulps from the 50's that sprang up in the wake of
> Manhunt--Pursuit, Menace, Accused, or a similarly titled rag. Email me
> privately & we can make arrangements for a Xerox copy if you want it.

By coincidence, I just read "The Bloody Tide," by Keene last week. It was
reprinted in _The Mammoth Book of Pulp Fiction_. A good tale. As a
storyteller, Keene (at least in this story) seems to be aware of the fun
he's having, and the reader's having while reading. He doesn't mock
himself, nor is he self-referential, but it's a take-this-for-what-it-is
type of style. I enjoyed "The Bloody Tide" a lot, and will make more of
an effort to pick up Keene, whom I haven't read much.

-dc

--
"After all, what the hell?"     --Dan Turner        dchandle@mailer.fsu.edu
#