RE: RARA-AVIS: HB's Western Cousin: Part 3/Sam Spade

Spurlock, Duane (Dspurlock@paulschultz.com)
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 10:40:12 -0500 I mentioned Cawelti in my long-winded post connecting westerns to The
Maltese Falcon:

>>John Cawelti and others have pointed out the development of the lone cowboy
protagonist into the lone P.I. Obviously, Sam Spade follows this
tradition of the lone hero.<<

Cawelti teaches at the University of Kentucky. His specialty is popular
culture, which he's written about extensively (you can probably find
some of his books from the Popular Press, published by Bowling Green
University). While I was working on my master's at UK, he taught
undergrad- and graduate-level courses on crime novels.

Best--Duane

#