RE: RARA-AVIS:Gault

michael david sharp (msharp@umich.edu)
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 19:25:41 -0500 (EST) F. Brown wrote a ton. Perhaps someone could post a biblio (I have *20C.
Crime and Mystery Writers* at my desk, but am not up to all the typing I'd
have to do). I recommend *The Lenient Beast*, one of my favorite
hard-boiled novels.

I just read *Sleep w/ the Devil* by Day Keene (Lion 1954) and thought it
was Brilliant. Keene is By Far my favorite "undiscovered" writer (i.e.
writer whose works have never or rarely been reprinted). He's one of the
very few who can write a genuinely funny hard-boiled novel. Read him if
you haven't (read stuff written pre-1960 -- at some point he decided he
wanted to be a serious writer and began turning out mediocre dreck,
including a 1964 novel about a court case involving artificial
insemination! The pb version was called . . . . something Seed, I think).

Michael D. Sharp Email: msharp@umich.edu
Department of English Lang. and Lit. Phone: (313) 761-8776
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor Fax: (313) 763-3128