RARA-AVIS: Flitcraft

E J M Duggan (eddie.duggan@suffolk.ac.uk)
Fri, 05 Dec 1997 23:53:41 -0800 On Thu, 4 Dec 1997 billha@ionet.net (Bill Hagen) wrote:

[SNIP stuff about Spade]
>Add the muted face to the objective point of view, and Spade becomes more
>an agent of action than a person one is really interested in. In that
>sense, the story of Flitcraft comes out of no where, and has the effect of
>a glimpse inside, or an awkward attempt at intimacy to which Brigid doesn't
>respond. Either way, it's sort of laid out, like a free association dream,
>for the reader to analyze, as if Hammett is saying "Make something of this,
>cause that's all you're going to get from inside this guy." At which
>point, I read on.

<Fearful of evoking Helen Reddy> Hhmm ... maybe
It is difficult to empathise/identify with Spade because he is a total
bastard; however, he does embody certain traits of masculinity which
might be *admirable* to certain sorts of men at certain times in history
in certain social contexts: thirties, fear of war, depression, man are
pretty emasculated. A demonstration of machismo might be just the sort
of thing (North American?) men would wish to identify with at some
level. Bogart's Spade can offer a similar opportunity a decade later.

The Flitcraft episode *might* be 'a glimpse inside' --- I'm not sure
that it's an attempt at intimacy as Bill suggests, simply on the grounds
of Spade's previous form.

However, looking at other Hammett stuff, there *is* a couple of
instances where an episode has been introduced to maybe bulk out a work
(at a penny a word, not a bad idea); apart from the Flitcraft
digression, there's a 'story within a story' in _The Thin Man_, the tale
of Albert Packer, 'Maneater', which is lifted straight out of the book
on Sam Spade's bedside table, Dukes _Celebrated Criminal Cases of
America_

ED