RARA-AVIS: Fresh Blood 2 (not London Noir 2)

E J M Duggan (eddie.duggan@suffolk.ac.uk)
Wed, 03 Dec 1997 10:55:01 -0800 On Tue, 2 Dec 1997 "Spurlock, Duane" <Dspurlock@paulschultz.com> wrote:

> does _London Noir 2_ feature different writers than the
> first _London Noir_, or more of the same? I enjoyed the first
> outing.

I made a mistake---it's not _London Noir_ but _Fresh Blood_.
(still, it's all the same stuff, innit) I think it features new writers
(hence the title), or maybe *different* writers from the first
collection.

Here's what _The Big Issue_ had to say:

Fresh Blood 2

ed Mike Ripley and Maxim Jakobowski
(The Do-Not Press, £8)

The second collection of Fresh Blood from independent
publishing house The Do-Not Press takes British crime
writing a stage further---the fresh blood being writers
such as Ken Bruen and Christopher Brookmyre, with a little
bit extra from Inspector Frost creator R D Wingfield.
despite the Tarantino-esque pretensions of the cover, the
contents seem closer to P D James than Dashiell Hammett.
Violence for its own sake eschewed for plot development
and characterisation. Whatever next?

>>(What I like about _The Big Issue_ is that if you haggle you can get if
>>for 50p)
>
>If you dicker the price down to 25p, does the news agent rip it in half
>and call it _The Little Issue_?

_The Big Issue_ is a weekly review sold *exclusively* by homeless
people (ie you can't get it from newsagents). The idea is selling the
mag gives 'em (some) independence, income & self-esteem. The magazine
is priced at a quid (£1.00), sellers purchase them at 40p each and the
difference (profit) is their 'income'. My reference to haggling 'em
down to 50p was an attempt (albeit pathetic) at hard-boiled wit.

ED