RARA-AVIS: Re: The Maltese Falcon

E J M Duggan (eddie.duggan@suffolk.ac.uk)
Mon, 01 Dec 1997 10:54:28 -0800 On Sat, 29 Nov 1997 billha@ionet.net (Bill Hagen) wrote:

>Why the "v motif," the blond Satan look for Spade? Name, death card
>allusion, but are we supposed to read "SS" too? Is this a case of pumping
>up the significance?

I suppose 'Spade' drips with significance, those that Bill mentions, as
well as a spade being a tool for 'digging up' clues; there's also, I
suppose, something vaguely phallic there too. I don't know about the
'SS' business, but 'supposed to read' is always a tricky one---texts
mean whatever they can be made to mean.

However, it's worth thinking about Spade in context; that is, in the
Hammett ouevre: Spade may simply be a way of marking his difference from
the Continental Op, who is characterised as short, plump, nameless,
works for a large organisation. Spade, by contrast, is over six foot,
is angular, named, and works for a small two-man---whoops, there goes
Archer---one man outfit.

ED