RE: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled: Classic vs. Contemporary

Spurlock, Duane (Dspurlock@paulschultz.com)
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 09:31:39 -0500 >Mario Taboada wrote:

>As some readers of this list surely know, the
>situation in England is very different, and there are *lots* of reprints
>of classic hardboiled authors available at low prices (No Exit Press,
>Allison & Busby, etc.).

During a recent trip to Ireland, I noticed MANY paperback omnibus
collections of hardboiled writers: Chandler, Thompson, et al. Here in
the US, we get individually packaged novels, for the most part.

>All of that said, there are several hardboiled writers now working who
>deserve all the praise they get, like Block, Pronzini, Walter Mosley,
>James Sallis, Teri White, James Lee Burke, James Ellroy, etc. We may
>even be in a kind of golden age for the hardboiled mystery...

Has anyone read Sallis' book on Chester Himes? Actually, it's about
Himes and two other writers...I can't recall the others now. Goodis and
somebody? Anyway, it's published by Gary Lovisi's Gryphon Press.--Duane
#