Re: RARA-AVIS: Subjective Matter

Laurent Lehmann (llehmann@club-internet.fr)
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 20:18:54 +0000 On 25 Nov 97 at 1:33, Fred Willard wrote:

> But first... I think there are probably a number of different
> perspectives toward hard-boiled fiction held by members of this list,
> historical, critical - some may be collectors, some serious readers, and
> so on.

I'm a reader, probably a collector too (I like to hoars the damn books
as much as place permits), but... serious ? Well, I like to think of
myself more as an enlightened amateur - in both meanings of the word.

> I also see film as informing fiction as well as the reverse. Just as
> examining Tarentino's self-referencing modernism, Ellroy's historical
> noir as represented in film, and the NYTimes article on noir fashion,
> all relate to the modern problem of the genre trying to escape settling
> into pastiche and/or parody.

That's also a subject worthy of discussion, I think. Just how much is our
conception of the genre influenced by '30s-'50s works ? I'm 30, but when I
hear the term 'hardboiled', the imagery of '50s novels and TV shows
springs immediately to my mind.

I've read many modern authors too (don't watch many modern movies,
though), but very few have an intrinsically modern 'feeling'. Guys like
Robert B. Parker (when he was good) or Jeremiah Healy could have written
their books 30 years ago with only a few minor adjustments.

Could you recommend some really 'modern' hardboiled authors ?

Laurent
________
"It was his story against mine, but of course I told my story better"
Humphrey Bogart in _In A Lonely Place',
From Hardboiled, by Peggy Thompson and Saeko Usukawa
#