RARA-AVIS: Re: Outing Spade

E J M Duggan (eddie.duggan@suffolk.ac.uk)
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 10:29:06 -0800 On Sat, 22 Nov 1997 Kevin Smith <kvnsmith@total.net> wrote:

>much as I loved The Maltese Falcon, The Drowning Pool, etc., I've reread
>them several times, and I find it hard to justify re-reading them right
>now, especially with a huge TBR pile just lurking there, threatening to
>topple over.

The reading, Kev, is voluntary.
There was much discussion on this some time ago --- maybe before you
joined us? --- and the value of group reading was explored, and the
titles to be read were generated by list members. Have a rummage
through the archives to see some of the turns the discussion took.

>So, you wanna talk about The Maltese Falcon, go ahead and talk.

"We will," he replied. His pink face was shiny with delight.

>Here's a topic that came up in a mystery fiction course a few years
>back. Were Spade and Archer lovers? Is that why Brigid gets sent over? Or
>is a gunsel sometimes just a gunsel? Discuss this among yourselves...

"Now, sir, we'll talk if you like. And I'll tell you right out
that I'm a man who likes talking to a man that likes to talk."

And if you're gonna raise these kind of interesting topics, I hope that
you'll join in the talk.

btw, there are 102 occurrences of the root /talk/ in The Maltese Falcon,
so in some ways it is a novel *about* talking.

ED