Re: RARA-AVIS: bad casting

Fred Willard (rainwill@mindspring.com)
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 14:57:07 +0000 In reference to:
> From: BaxDeal@aol.com
> Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 00:58:03 -0500 (EST)

> motion picture academy be damned, I thought Anthony Hopkins was way over the
> top as Hannibal Lecter in SILENCE OF THE LAMBS.
>
> enjoyed Bryan Cox's interpretation of the same character in the earlier
> MANHUNTER much more. he looked at Bill Peterson's Will Graham like he was a
> bug.

Without taking anything from the Hopkins performance, which I admired
greatly, I agree with your assesmnet of Cox's interpretation. The
coolness was terrifying.

I also thought Tom Noonan's performance as The Red Dragon was superb
and very interesting. He wasn't as I imagined from the book, but as I
thought about it, I realized his reading of the character as
presented by Harris was true to the text. He made me more
aware of elements of the Dragon's character as I reread the book -
things I hadn't placed the same weight on as I read it the first
time.

That's what I call a great relationship between a book and a film.

Fred