RE: RARA-AVIS: Film Noir at the Castro

Gilbert, Len (lgilbert@inpower.com)
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 11:27:43 -0800 I disagree. My wife and I went with another couple (fellow noir
devotees) and thought it was excellent. The acting, cinematography,
dialog, sets--great stuff. The plot was a bit weak, but many noirs have
weak or confusing plots. (DOA, Big Sleep, Detour, etc.)

"Baroque" was the word used to describe Touch of Evil in the Castro
guide. And it is a pretty good description. Also it's sometimes sited as
the last noir film, exploiting the standard elements and cliches to the
outside edge. Maybe those excesses bothered you? Maybe you're more of a
P.I. type looking for Sam Spade or Philip Marlowe?

Aside: Tower on Market near Castro is selling the Universal Noirs for
about $13 each....

--L

#