RARA-AVIS: Re: jazz & hard-boiled

Larry Rickert (lrickert@ix4.ix.netcom.com)
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 11:05:56 +0000 On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Bill Hagen wrote:

<<BIG SNIP>>

> I remember at least two noir titles from the 50s where the jazz score was
> inseparable from the action: "Odds Against Tomorrow" (John Lewis score) and
> "The Man With the Golden Arm" (Elmer Bernstein score). Mancini brought
> the big band back into noir-PI (if it had ever left), espec. with his theme
> for tv's "Peter Gunn," but at that point I think we're getting a bit
> soft-boiled and the music just driving big beat stuff, adaptable to any
> adventure.
>
> Hope I haven't squashed the topic for everyone. (One note leads to
> another.) Others' thoughts on jazz, etc. in hard-boiled fiction or film?

I'm going back quite a bit, and my memory might not be correct, but I
believe that Elmer Bernstein also wrote the music for the JOHNNY
STACATTO (SP?) TV show, and perhaps also for RICHARD DIAMOND.

Both of these would fall into your "cool" jazz category, especially
the STACATTO music. I remember some really nice trumpet solos on the
soundtrack album. If you have any interest, I could dig them out of
the archives and check the details. They're two of my personal
favorites. I actually wore out my first copy of STACATTO.

Larry

Larry Rickert
PC Training and Consulting
lrickert@ix.netcom.com