Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Daeninckx-spelled just the way it sounds

Laurent Lehmann (llehmann@club-internet.fr)
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 13:32:08 +0000 On 18 Nov 97 at 14:02, Kevin Smith wrote:

> Do all the Daeninckx books you listed feature Rene Griffon? I've only
> recently heard of him, and I'm trying to compile a list of his work.

Rene Griffon appears only in _Le Der des Ders_. Daeninckx's only=20
recurring character is inspector Cadin. Cadin is a very engaging=20
character, whose investigations (like most of Daeninckx's mysteries)=20
revolve around various French locales and forgotten bits of French recent=
=20
history :

- Mort au premier Tour (1982)
- Meurtres pour M=E9moire (1984)
- Le G=E9ant inachev=E9 (1984)
- Le Bourreau et son double (1986)

He also briefly appears in Lumi=E8re noire (1987), as a PI. All these bo=
oks=20
have been published in the famous _Serie Noire_.

Daeninckx, as someone else noted, is very engaged politically (like many
other French mystery authors). IMHO, he's the best French writer of the
'80s-'90s, and one the few French writers I collect. The others are Leo
Malet, G.-J. Arnaud, Serge Brussolo, Frederic Dard/San-Antonio, Emmanuel
Errer/Jean Mazarin, Michel Jeury, and that's about it. All are very
prolific 'genre' (mystery/sci-fi/thriller) authors.=20

Laurent
_______
"I'll read any private eye book and love it." (After Fred Willard)

#