Re: RARA-AVIS: New person

Joseph M. Johnston (johnston@netreach.net)
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 12:40:17 +0000 On 16 Nov 97 at 12:09, Lesserkind@aol.com wrote:

> I started the same way, reading Hammett after a cheap thriller. That
> also lead me into Chandler, but then I took a different turn towards
> Ross MacDonald rather than black mask anthologies. I wonder, do you
> think many mystery readers started out that way?

I started a little differently but quite a similar path. First,
joined a book club to get all of the James Bond Novels for a dime.
Second, saw the movie Harper (yes it was the mid 60s). Third, the
same book club offered a Ross McDonald novel from which the movie was
based (Moving Target, I believe) which I bought to help settle my
required selections. Next, they offered an anthology, The Novels
of Dashiell Hammett. Then it was more Lew Archer novels and Hammett
short stories and Chandler. And here I am today also with all of the
Thin Man movies on video and plans for more. hammett movies.

BTW, I started a mailing list just to discuss Hammett novels. It's
at majordomo@cigarsmokers.com subscribe hammett. And I put up a very
modest web site on Hammett to go with the list
(http://www.cigarsmokers.com/hammett) -- sorry, couldn't resist the
plug.

Joe Johnston