RARA-AVIS: Re: The Cheap Detective Fan (formerly Hubin & Hubris)

Kevin Smith (kvnsmith@total.net)
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 21:12:26 -0400 Tom,

You wrote:

> An indepent, non-involved viewpoint: You did indeed, and still do, imply
> that the book should be sold cheaply because you don't want to pay for it or
> go to the library. Whatever it is you do for a living, I doubt you would do
> it for free for the next six months so that others can benefit from your
> work without your getting paid. And we are NOT talking a lot of money here
> for a reference work. The price is less than the cost of dining out for a meal.

No, I didn't imply, you inferred. I never said the book should be sold
cheaply-it couldn't, due to its size (that sucker's big!) and the small
press run. I was merely suggesting an alternative means of distribution.
If I went to a library to look up something in it, assuming of course
that I find a well-stocked enough library that has it, how much do you
think Hubin gets paid? On the other hand, if I paid a small fee to have
access to a web site (the porno sites do it all the time), Hubin would
actually receive something. And many more people would have access to
Mr. Hubin's fine work. You can bet most of that $200 smackers goes to
the publishers, not Mr. Hubin. I personally couldn't afford that much,
and travelling to a library that does have a copy is a bit of a haul.

Oh, and $200 is less than the cost of dining out? I wanna go out with
you for dinner. Your treat, of course.

Cheaply yours,
Kevin Smith
The Thrilling (no-charge) Detective Web Site

P.S. Hey! Total Security isn't on! Has it been canned?
#