Re: RARA-AVIS: Forgotten PI Writers

Laurent Lehmann (llehmann@club-internet.fr)
Sat, 18 Oct 1997 22:05:37 +0000 On 17 Oct 97 at 22:16, James Reasoner wrote:

> In addition to the ones mentioned so far, how about Robert Terrall, who
> wrote as Robert Kyle and John Gonzales in addition to his Brett Halliday
> work; John B. West (was he the first black PI writer, even though his PI
> wasn't black?); Ed Lacy (speaking of black PIs); W.T. Ballard, both as
> himself and as Neil McNeil; Talmage Powell, with the Ed Rivers books;
> Milton K. Ozaki; Cleve Adams . . . I know I'm forgetting some good ones.
> And I also enjoyed the Steve Bentley books by E. Howard Hunt writing as
> Robert Dietrich, even though Bentley wasn't actually a PI. But where
> else are you going to find books about a two-fisted, crime-busting
> Certified Public Accountant?

If I can find all these books, I'll have go to a desert island to find
the time to read them ! Well, a desert island isn't that hardboiled a
location. Maybe a cheapo hotel in the Lower East Side, complete with fleas
and bugs, or a motel lost in the woods would be a fitting hideout after I
get hold of Gary's collection.... Hmmm. There's a thought !

Robert Terrall/John Gonzales is the only writer among those listed above
I know about. I've got an interview of him somewhere in my bookcases,
but I haven't read his novels. Could somebody provide more details about
the others ?

Laurent
________
"It was his story against mine, but of course I told my story better"
Humphrey Bogart in _In A Lonely Place',
From Hardboiled, by Peggy Thompson and Saeko Usukawa
#