RARA-AVIS: Hannah; Kellerman

Bill Hagen (billha@ionet.net)
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 01:21:38 -0500 (CDT) James Reasoner wrote:

>I enjoyed "Junior Jackson's Parable" by James Hannah enough... I felt a
>little guilty about laughing as much as I did at Junior's bad luck,
>because I'm not sure Hannah intended for the story to be
>funny. But that's the way it struck me.

I thought Hannah had a good ear for the way someone would tell his story.
There is humor, set up by a kind of ironic separation of his situation from
the reader, who is presumably more in control of what happens in his/her
life. Chance can and does prevail in such peoples' lives.

>The Kellerman story was well-written, but I didn't like it. Too bleak for
>my tastes.

Didn't mind the bleakness, but found the kid's narrative curiously flat. I
think I see the problem facing Kellerman: present one of those girls who
drift into situations, whatever provides for the joy of the moment, a
character who has little forethought. (The murder is quite improvised, for
instance.) The problem is that such a character would not be, in and of
herself, very interesting. This one certainly wasn't. She's the sum of
what happened.

Bill Hagen
<billha@ionet.net>

#