Re: RARA-AVIS: Black Lizard Anthology

Mari Hall (Found.Dead.In.Texas@airmail.net)
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 08:42:42 -0500 James & Livia Reasoner wrote:

> ----------
> Mari Hall wrote:
>
> > Don't count on it. James Reasoner is still writing, but mostly work for
> > hire in the Western historical vein with his wife under lots of names.
> > His best story (I'll get the name for you) was in a vampire collection
> > and was about the cow going to the butcher and then there was the one
> > about the gay-troup of vets at the Alamo. I thought they were a hoot,
> > but I have a weird sense of humour. His classic novel, long of out print
> > and expensive as a gold when you can find it, is TEXAS WIND, which took
> > place in Fort Worth where he turned a city map over and upside down and
> > had everyone driving all over town looking for the sites in the book.
> > He also edited the Mike Shayne magazine at one time. I have an interview
> > if anyone is interested (wait until I learn how to scan in and link,
> > etc) which is really very short (only a page). He also did a series
> > featuring a Western Judge who was a former stage coach guard who became
> > a lawyer then a judge. Only two in the series that were very good.
>
> Mari, I'm afraid you've got me mixed up with Scott Cupp. I know he wrote
> the Alamo story, and the other one sounds like it's probably his, too.
> _Texas Wind_ is mine, of course, and all the scenes in the book (with one
> exception) take place in real locations. I wrote Mike Shayne stories but
> never had anything to do with the editing of the magazine. And there were
> three books in the Judge Earl Stark series (_Stark's Justice_, _The
> Hawthorne Legacy_, and _The Diablo Grant_).
>
> I still write some books under pseudonyms but am publishing more under my
> name these days. Berkley is publishing a World War I novel of mine next
> year that I like a great deal. There are also a couple of new short story
> collaborations with Livia (one mystery, one fantasy) coming out sometime,
> but I don't have pub dates on them yet, as well as several reprints.
>
> Best,
> James Reasoner
>
> #
> # To unsubscribe, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to majordomo@icomm.ca.
> # The web pages for the list are at http://www.vex.net/~buff/rara-avis/.
TO: JAMES REASONER:
Shoot, I engaged fingers before brain again! Sorry, but you know what a
fan I am of both you and Livia! Good to see you here. When are some more
Judge Stark coming out??? I love that series and it is a re-read for me,
something I don't do often. Maybe since you do work for hire, I could
just "hire" you to keep in Judge Stark books?? Could I afford you??
Probably, because you wouldn't have to put up with an editor.
#