Re: RARA-AVIS: Black Lizard Anthology

James & Livia Reasoner (liviajames@itexas.net)
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 21:59:44 -0500 ----------
James Rogers wrote:

> Can't recall if it's been mentioned or not, but I've been
plugging
> through the BLACK LIZARD ANTHOLOGY OF CRIME FICTION (a very uneven
> collection) and ran across a very nice James Reasoner story, "Death and
The
> Dancing Shadows". Very much in the Chandler vein, good twist, snappy
ending
> line. Congrats to Mr. Reasoner. I'll have to keep an eye out for more.
>
> James

Thanks for the kind words. I wrote four stories for MSMM about the private
detective Markham, and "Death and the Dancing Shadows" is probably my
favorite of the four. Its appearance in the Black Lizard anthology caught
the eye of a guy in Hollywood who wanted to make a movie out of it. He
adapted the story into a screenplay, but nothing else ever came of it.
Would have been nice.

My favorite story in the Black Lizard anthology is the one by Robert Edmond
Alter (can't remember the title and don't have a copy of the book handy).
I haven't read anything else by Alter, but this story, about a man trapped
in a basement with a venomous snake, is a white-knuckler.

Best,
James Reasoner
#