Re: RARA-AVIS: Non-mystery hardboiled writings

James Rogers (jetan@ionet.net)
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 00:08:01 -0500 (CDT) At 12:33 PM 8/11/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I know I am new to the mailing list and this question may have been
>thrown out a lot, but do you guys like really hardboiled non-mysteries?

(snip)

>But there are others: early Richard Ford, Bukowski, Pickney Benedict,
>some Hemingway that I would love to discuss in conjunction with the
>greats such as Chandler and Hammett.

I enjoy the non-mystery stuff,although some non-mystery guys
actually got started in the mystery magazines (like Horace McCoy). The best
one I've read lately was an oldie called YOU PLAY THE BLACK AND THE RED
COMES UP by Richard Hallas (Eric Knight, a British writer). It's actually a
parody of hard-boiled stuff....if you can imagine a James M. Cain book
featuring Li'l Abner, you can pretty much get an idea for this one. The
author's principle claim to fame appears to be that he showed up drunk on
Hemingway's doorstep one night.

James

#