Re: RARA-AVIS: Enough, already!

Larry Rickert (lrickert@ix.netcom.com)
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 00:57:53 +0000 Hi Fred,

You wrote:

>>SNIP<<

> Obviously, since I introduced the subject, I find it interesting.
> I'm not an academic. I don't have a Ph D. In fact, my college career
> was, shall we say, rather undistinguished. I've spent most of my life
> as a photojournalist, a world about as far from the academy as I
> could find.

I haven't introduced myself yet, but your missive has induced me to
write this. I, too, am certainly NOT an ACADEMICIAN, having only a HS
diploma, and a few years, after US Army service spent in a NY
community college for Art. I certainly hope we don't have to have
titles after our names to post messages here, and I've never seen
this to be the case.

> I also write crime fiction. I like a good story with believable
> characters written from a tough point of view, and so on.
>
> My interest in this, isn't as academic as you may think. My
> first book had a criminal narrator. The one I'm working on now has a
> shifting perspective shared by four people trying to steal the
> same money.

This may not help, but your messages made me think of the movie DEAD
PRESIDENTS. It doesn't shift from one characters perspective to
another, but, somehow, it makes me think of every character as an
individual, with their own motives.

> The issue that I raised, to me at least, is one way of examining what
> feeds a number of different writers's sense of what the basic moral
> conflict in their stories is about - not just good vs. evil, but what
> they think is good and what evil and why.

Again, this movie does this.

Hope this helped,
Larry