Re: RARA-AVIS: Enough, already!

Fred Willard (rainwill@mindspring.com)
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 23:21:06 +0000 Dan,

Oops, I guess I am the perpetrator. I began by asking if anyone would
be willing to discuss this, and several people responded that they
would.

If this is not the appropriate forum, I'll be happy to take it
elsewhere. I'm a new comer to the list and in spite of reading
through the archives, I admit I really don't know the culture of it
yet.

I disagree with several of your statements, however.(Although, I
certainly respect your knowledge and experience).

As the tone of one's voice is only implied in print, please let me
make it clear I'm offering a friendly this as a friendly discussion
not an argument.

Obviously, since I introduced the subject, I find it interesting.
I'm not an academic. I don't have a Ph D. In fact, my college career
was, shall we say, rather undistinguished. I've spent most of my life
as a photojournalist, a world about as far from the academy as I
could find.

I also write crime fiction. I like a good story with believable
characters written from a tough point of view, and so on.

My interest in this, isn't as academic as you may think. My
first book had a criminal narrator. The one I'm working on now has a
shifting perspective shared by four people trying to steal the
same money.

Most writers are going to have their own approach to things like
this. For me, the book I'm working on now requires a
farily complex scheme for identifying the moral framework of the
conflict.

The issue that I raised, to me at least, is one way of examining what
feeds a number of different writers's sense of what the basic moral
conflict in their stories is about - not just good vs. evil, but what
they think is good and what evil and why.

Anyway, you may think you hear the thundering feet of angels dancing
on the head of a pin, but what's happening for me, at least, is that
I'm on page 240 of a novel, and looking for as many different
perspectives to examine some of the issues as possible.

I'm sure many writers who's work I admire used very different
approaches. I'm happy with mine as they may be with their's.

I've already gotten a lot of help here. Thanks.