[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Red Wind: homoerotics & mastubatory closure

Eddie Duggan said..

>In
>Marlowe, there is a tendency to de-sexualise or avoid sexualised encounters
>with female characters

To the extent that when I read the passage where Marlowe and Mrs. Barsaly
are in the car and he "turned a little and took hold of her,"  I re-read
it to fill in what happened.  Only when she "rubbed the back of her glove
against her mouth" does the reader infer what transpired.  Chandler in
his writing style often skips over passages of intimacy and says that he
is not much interested in his character's private life.  In the "Simple
Art of Murder" he notes that his hero "is nether a eunuch nor a satyr."

Patrick Golden ++ pgolden@leo.vsla.edu
Program Services Manager
Williamsburg Regional Library, Virginia ++ http://www.wrl.org

-