[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: RARA-AVIS: Scorched Face

>BaxDeal@aol.com[SMTP:BaxDeal@aol.com] wrote:

>>Like the minor surprise at the end.<

Hammett wasted nothing, I've come to learn. Or is it better to say that
none of his words were simply padding. For instance, when the Op first
introduces policeman Pat, he provides a little anecdote about the cop,
his habits and his wife. A nice little story-within-a-story that briefly
but colorfully fills us in on the character of Pat.

However, Hammett exploits everything to the fullest. Right at the end,
he brings back Pat's socialite wife as part of the blackmail scam and
really pulls the anecdote into the main current of the story. This is
storytelling genius--like a magician, Hammett shows the audience
something, distracts them with something else, then miraculously pops
the forgotten something back in front of everyone's face for a big
finish.

I recently read "The Gutting of Couffingal," and he does the same thing
there. He mentions a one-legged boy early in the story and describes his
crutch. Later, the Op sprains an ankle, and I'm thinking this is a nice
bit of realism Hammett's working in here. The Op borrows the crutch, and
right at the end, Hammett brings the whole sidecar story of the boy and
the crutch together to make a point about the Op's character. Bang!
Absolutely great storytelling.
--Duane
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca