[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Red Wind

Dr. Sharp, I found that Marlowe's "sentimentalism" in covering for "Mr.
Stan Phillips, just another four-flusher," was very much in character.
Philip "I was a part of the nastiness now" Marlowe always seems to me to
feel a kind of solidarity with the unredeemed, or preterite, from his
sympathy for Harry in The Big Sleep to his support of Terry Lennox in The
Long Goodbye.  Marlowe's soft spot for "four-flushers" seems to me to be a
humane attitude of a greater breadth than Sam Spade's code of individual
loyalty ("when your partner's killed, you're supposed to do something
about it.")
--josh lukin

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca