[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Polito & Thompson

>Replying to a post last week by Bill Denton, regarding Thompson's biography
by Robert Polito -

SNIPPED

>How interesting his life was depends on how one interprets the old Chinese
curse, May you live in interesting times.  Certainly his life was cursed by
circumstance and his own very personal demons. Many writers of the 1930's
and 1940's travelled a hard road. Was Thompson's any harder? Probably. But
what other hardboiled writers have  been given the benefit of a full
biography, other than Chandler and Hammet?

>Cheers,
>
>Robert M. Eversz
>dedalus@terminal.cz

Robert M. Eversz is right, there are only a few HB/Noir writers who received
a full biographical treatment.
As far as I know: (besides Hammett and Chandler)
-forJim Thompson, there is another bio: 'Sleeping with the Devil' by Michael
Mc Cauley
-for David Goodis: ' La Vie en Noir et Blanc' by Philippe Garnier (in French)
- 'James Cain' by Fran篩s Gu鲩f  (in French)

On the contrary, it seems that many of these writers produced some
autobiography (Jim Thompson as well).

By the way, 1997 is the 20th anniversary of Jim Thompson's death.
For his funeral (in 1977) on a total of 25 persons, 4 only were not family.
His works speak for him, more than his life, and he deserves the recognition
he (finally) receives in his own country. He is without doubt amongst the
best American writers of the second half of the century.

E.Borgers

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca

[Archives] | [RARA-AVIS]