[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Faux Chandler

Regarding the Chandler/Parker "Poodle Springs", I found it to be
a readable but pretty run of the mill mystery. The magic of Chandler
is absent here. Parker's sense of irony does not seem nearly as
sharp as Chandler's, besides which, his dialogue seems stale when
compared to Chandler's. But then,imitating the best stylist in the
genre is a hazardous assignment...

The second Chandler-inspired book, "Perchance to dream", I found
boring and not worth the time (I finished it anyway).

How about the *old* Chanlder imitators? Howard Browne's first Paul
Pine novel and the early mysteries of Ross Macdonald are far better
imitations than Parker's. Incidentally, Paul Pine is a truly memorable
character (and arguably a better detective than Marlowe!).

Who's the antithesis of Marlowe? I vote for Thomas Dewey's Mac, one
of my all-time favorite detectives. Reissues, please!!

Regards, and apologies for the a scatter-brained post. Coffee hasn't
done its thing yet.

Mario Taboada

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca