[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Marlowe vs. Previous Characters

Paul Ulucci wrote:

> QUESTION 1 : Does anyone know if any more Marlowe novels will
> be written? I don't think that Robert B. Parker will have the time
> to write any (he's putting out Spenser novels every Spring and has
> a new series featuring Jesse Stone coming out every Fall starting
> this year.).
>

> QUESTION 2 :  Who could write an acceptable Marlowe novel
> right now?

I don't know about a novel, but there are some very good candidates out
there who *could* write one. Has anyone read RAYMOND CHANDLER'S PHILIP
MARLOWE: A CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION (1988), edited by Byron Preiss? I
highly recommend this book of short stories, all written about Marlowe
in the Chandler vein (with great love and a feeling of honor toward
Chandler). Here are numerous writers capable of a Marlowe novel (though
I'm not sure if I would enjoy it--I couldn't get into the Parker one I
read), including, of all people, Sara Paretsky, who wrote an excellent
story for the book I just mentioned.

Richard King
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca