[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: The Glass Key

James Mountain reacts to my lament about hyperinflated book prices--

> Well, justification hey??? How about: THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE WILL PAY!!!
> Is that good enough?

If it were only that simple.  Public institutions like a university
research library must answer to the demands of faculty, students, and
the general public, all of whom demand (rightly) that we collect
material necessary for their studies.  Rare books and special
collections departments are held hostage by dealers who justify their
outrageous prices with just such "arguements" as James'.  A private
collector can "just say no" to high prices; a library doesn't always
have that luxury.
--
James Stephenson
Rare Books & Special Collections Cataloger