[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Max Brand stories?

> Has there ever been a collection of pulp stories by the legendary
> Max Brand? I have read several in anthologies, and he seems to have
> had considerable talent. Did his reputation as a writing machine
> damage his image for posterity?

Mario, there has never been a collection of Brand's pulp detective and
mystery stuff, though THE COLLECTED SHORT FICTION OF MAX
BRAND (1994) contains, inter alia (as we noir-ish folks like to put
it), a detective story from BLACK MASK, 1938, and an espionage novelette
from DETECTIVE FICTION WEEKLY, 1935.  The novelette was collected as
part of an episodic book, SECRET SERVICE AGENT NUMBER ONE (1936),
under his Frederick Frost psuedonym.

The introduction to THE COLLECTED SHORT FICTION indicates that a
collection solely of Brand's detective stuff was, at that time, in
the works.  I have no idea whether it still is.

Doug

-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca

[Archives] | [RARA-AVIS]