[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: Cornell Woolrich question

Duane:

About the note by Shelton Abend in your copy of Woolrich's 'Rear Window,'
and in particular his reference to the 'landmark copyright case':
Last year, while I was writing an article on Woolrich for the forthcoming
'American National Biography,' I had to contact Mr. Abend regarding copy-
right permission to quote from Woolrich's work. What I thought would be a
business-like 5-minute phone call turned into a fascinating one-hour plus
marathon call, full of reminiscences of Woolrich, and Abend's trials and
tribulations as the executor of Woolrich's will (on behalf of Chase
Manhattan, whom Abend worked for at the time). Anyway, I received SO MUCH
information that day, that I'm a little hazy about the details, but what I
THINK Abend is referring to is a challenge over the question of who owned
the copyright to 'Rear Window' -- Abend, or the studio that made the film.
Abend (who by the way is a VIGOROUS defender of the many copyrights he holds!)
fought the case all the way to the Supreme Court, and, even though the studio
brought in Jimmy Stewart (!) to testify on their behalf, Abend won?
I mean, 'Abend won!"
Yes, I know it sounds like an incredible story, but it was just one of many
that Abend shared with me that day. Incidentally, the reason why the only
Woolrich currently in print is that published by Penguin is that Abend owns
the copyright to all his other work, and he won't let it be published until
he can find a publisher and editor who he thinks will do a good job --
hopefully, that won't be long, because it's a crime when you consider how
much of Woolrich is out of print.

Hope this helps, and if list members are interested in hearing more of Abend's
anecdotes, let me know, and I'll be happy to oblige!

Best wishes,
David Schmid
Dept of English
State University of New York at Buffalo