[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Return to Slang Discussion

Looking through the RARA-AVIS archives, I followed a thread about
hardboiled slang. To return briefly to that topic, I recommend an essay
by S.J. Perelman, "Somewhere a Roscoe...", an essay that originally ran,
I think, in the New Yorker. It's a wonderful and funny piece about
tough-guy and pulp slang and the joys of reading Dan Turner, Hollywood
Detective stories. Perelman was a funny, funny guy who wrote for the
Marx Brothers. The easiest place to locate this essay is an anthology
titled "The Most of S.J. Perelman."
--Duane Spurlock
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca