[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: The Old Man

Hi, all--

Does anybody know whether Hammett ever gave The Old Man in the Continental
Op stories a name?  "Pontius Pilate" doesn't count.  I'm making a
comparison of Frederick Nebel's Donahue and the Op and am trying to find
as many parallels as possible.  I've already checked _Red Harvest_, _The
Dain Curse_, and the collections _The Big Knockover_ and _TCO_.  No soap.
Eddie?  Bill?

Also:

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, e j m duggan wrote:

> In the December 1929 issue of Black Mask, Joe Shaw makes a whole-page
> appeal to readers, under the banner 'HELP!'.  Shaw asks readers to return a
> tear-off coupon, stating their favourite story in this issue, and their
> favourite story from the previous six issues.

_Detective Fiction Weekly_ did this too, but with a twist: if the reader
enclosed ten mastheads from past issues, s/he was entered in a drawing for
a piece of original cover art!  If the editors had known how valuable
those paintings would be in sixty years, they would have insisted on
twenty POPs... :)

Kathy

Katherine Harper
Department of English