[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RARA-AVIS: _The Maltese Falcon_ in _Black Mask_

Ah, cool Bill. You don't happen to know the dealer's name do you?

James

> Date:          Sat, 12 Apr 1997 16:35:56 -0400 (EDT)
> From:          William Denton <buff@vex.net>
> To:            rara-avis@icomm.ca
> Subject:       RARA-AVIS: _The Maltese Falcon_ in _Black Mask_

> There was a small pulp convention in Toronto today, and I went down
> and picked up some good stuff (including a first of Charles
> Willeford's _The Machine in Ward Eleven_).
>
> One guy had a few _Black Masks_ on his table, and I asked him how much
> one with a Hamett story would go for.  He pointed at the one I had in
> my hand, and said, "Actually, that one has one installment of _The
> Maltese Falcon_ in it."  But it wasn't listed on the cover!  The lead
> story was a Frederick Nebel, and who knows about him these days?  I
> found it very surprising, but maybe they gave Hammett the cover for
> the first installment.  The dealer was selling it for US $450, which
> was about 25 times out of my price range, so I didn't get it.  It was
> nice to hold it in my hands, though.
>

> Bill
> --
> William Denton : Toronto, Canada : buff@vex.net : Caveat lector.
> http://www.vex.net/~buff/        <-- Anything on io.org is toast.
>
> -

James Mountain, Bookseller
Specializing in Mystery & Detective Fiction

Po Box 693
Qualicum Beach, B.C.
Canada, V9K 1T2
PH:(250) 752-4658 (PST)
e-mail:cheryl-james@bcsupernet.com
http://WWW.abebooks.com/home/GRENDEL/

TERMS: All books subject to prior sale. Please e-mail to reserve.
All prices in U.S. dollars.
Dealer's trade courtesies extended.
Postage: In North America; $4,00 for first book, $1.00 each extra book. Overseas shipments will be billed at cost.
Any item, for any reason, may be returned within three weeks of receipt.
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca

[Archives] | [RARA-AVIS]