[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: _The Maltese Falcon_ in _Black Mask_

There was a small pulp convention in Toronto today, and I went down
and picked up some good stuff (including a first of Charles
Willeford's _The Machine in Ward Eleven_).

One guy had a few _Black Masks_ on his table, and I asked him how much
one with a Hamett story would go for.  He pointed at the one I had in
my hand, and said, "Actually, that one has one installment of _The
Maltese Falcon_ in it."  But it wasn't listed on the cover!  The lead
story was a Frederick Nebel, and who knows about him these days?  I
found it very surprising, but maybe they gave Hammett the cover for
the first installment.  The dealer was selling it for US $450, which
was about 25 times out of my price range, so I didn't get it.  It was
nice to hold it in my hands, though.

Bill
--
William Denton : Toronto, Canada : buff@vex.net : Caveat lector.