[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V1 #53

Dear All,

Regarding the Dennis Lehane book A Drink Before the War - it
takes place in Boston where I live right now and it is pretty
good.  I haven't read any of the older Spenser Robert Parker
stuff but this Lehane is better than Parker's new stuff, I
think.  The book is good though at times it gets to be a little
overly and senselessly violent.  You don't quite see why the
characters are getting so violent and why they have to be.
Excellent characters beside that though.  It gets to be little
too predictable.  Overall review - if you are not willing to go
back to the classics or have read all of them or whatever -
Lehane is a very good new author but not as good as the greats.

A few questions from me now:
Those Hughes books sound great, please tell me more

Has anyone read Michael Connelly or Andrew Vachss?  I keep
being told to read them.  Are they that good?

What do you all think of Jim Thompson?

I just saw the movie Carlito's Way with Al Pacino and loved it.
Have
any of you read the books by Edwin Torres which the movie was
based on?

Have any of you read any of Graham Greene's noirish entertaiments?

Tell me what you think of my webpage at:
Film Noir and Pulp Fiction
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/4558/
-
# to majordomo@icomm.ca